How to move to Jersey from the UK

Jersey is a territory under the authority of the British Crown. The island is a part of the Channel Isles, but is not considered part of the UK. But that shouldn’t stop you from wanting to move to Jersey from the UK.

Jersey is part of the Common Travel Area, along with the other Channel Islands, the UK and the Republic of Ireland. So, moving to Jersey from the UK may be easier than you think.

What you need to consider when you move to Jersey from the UK


If you are British, you do not require a visa to enter, visit, work, study or settle in Jersey. Other passport holders will need a visa, depending on the traveller’s intention and nationality.

Getting to Jersey

If you are travelling to Jersey with your vehicle, you must come by ferry. The main ferries depart from Poole or Portsmouth.

If you intend to move to Jersey for more than 12 months and take your vehicle, you must register the car. When registering the vehicle, you will need to go through several steps, including paying GST and other taxes and providing official documentation before embarking on your journey.

Get up to date information on registering your vehicle in Jersey.

Before you leave the ferry, you will need to check with your insurer that you are covered from the period between arrival and formally re-registering your vehicle on the island.

If you are on foot, there is a taxi rank and a main bus station close to the terminal where you will arrive. You can also hire a car near the terminal.

There are over 40 flights to Jersey daily from a large majority of airports in the UK.

Border Control

Because Jersey is a part of the Common Travel Area, there are no queued immigration controls when arriving in Jersey. Custom officers and immigration officials randomly check people coming through. You must be ready to show a photo ID in case of a random check.

Anyone else arriving from outside the Common Travel Area will need to show their passport or identification card with a valid visa.

Custom control

Work Permits

You don’t need a permit to work in Jersey if you are a British or Irish citizen or a British subject with the right to work in the UK. Your employer should be able to give you information regarding your individual requirements.

Driving Licence

Any person who becomes a resident in Jersey and has a foreign driving licence is required to exchange it for a Jersey driving licence. The basics – you must attend your parish hall. There you will need to fill out an application, supply a passport photo and pay a fee. Find out more about how to apply for or exchange your current driver’s licence.

Relocating Your Belongings

If you are moving your household items over, be aware of the restrictions and expenses of importing your possessions. The majority of the costs depend on how you transport your belongings. This is commonly done by air freight or shipping company.

You must declare any household goods to Jersey Customs and Immigration Service. If you use a reputable relocation provider, they will be able to incorporate this into the costs of moving. You can check out your obligations here.

Register as a Resident

The first thing you must do upon moving is register at the Customer and Local Services department. This is where you will be given a social security number and registration card confirming your residential status. This card is needed to access almost everything on the island as a resident.

Every person over the age of 16 must register themselves. You CAN NOT register for someone on their behalf except for dependent children under 16 years of age. Some of the documentation you will need includes:

  • A copy of your passport or Identification card
  • A copy of the dependent children’s birth certificate or passport
  • A copy of your marriage certificate
  • An indication of salary or earnings
  • You must also make a payment online

Apply to register as a Jersey resident

Finding Accommodation

Before signing any housing contracts, you will need to get a registration card (see above) showing your residential and employment status. Most people arrange short-term accommodation while researching their long term options. Hotels and guest houses are good choices for the short-term options.

In the longer term, the kind of accommodation you are allowed to live in depends on your residential and employment status shown on your registration card.

Most people, when they first move, are given ‘Registered’ status. This allows you to live in registered lodging accommodation, registered flats or apartments, private lodging or tourist accommodation. Find out about your options when you have a Registered status.

When you eventually rent a property, you will have to undergo several checks, including proof of earnings and supporting references. You will likely have to pay a deposit, usually one month of rent. The easiest option is to go through a rental agency. Alternatively, you can contact owners directly.

This is a short list of what needs to be considered before you move to Jersey from the UK. Remember, information changes and you need to make sure you access the relevant websites to be sure you are in compliance with the local laws and regulations.

Are you just about to move to Jersey and want some adventure? Then don’t miss the following article: Scuba Diving in Jersey